17 years ago today I came into this wonderful world in the heart of Somerset with my parents and my brother by my side.
Basically what I am saying is: IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!
I always get really excited for my birthday and I don’t know why because 17 is a really boring age. 16 and 18 are the big birthday so 17 is like the middle child.
Looking back, I have been through a lot of good things and lot of not so great things in my lifetime but I think it’s all those things that have made me the person that I am today. I find it very daunting that in a couple of years I will be at university and working towards my dream career. The future does scare me but at the same time I am very excited!
I hope you like the collage I made of me growing up and how I have really changed!
I have seen lots of people doing posts like and I think that it is such a great idea and I am telling you now that it is hard to think of 17 things, so I am glad that I am only 17 and not like 25 cause that would be hard.
As you read this (if you’re reading this on Friday) I am in Brighton eating amazing food or vintage clothes shopping or taking photos. There will be a couple of posts on that in the next week.
It’s also St Patricks day so if you’re Irish or celebrate it then HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY! Which is actually quite cool because I am in fact half Irish.
Anyway lets get on with this because I have a lot to say:
- Nobody and nothing is perfect – I don’t believe that anything or anyone is perfect and everything has flaws. I am not saying that it’s a bad thing because it is not. It is what makes us all unique!
- Stress leads to illness – I am saying this out of experience because I was SO stressed in year 10 and 11 that it lead to me getting quite bad indigestion and even though I am not so stressed I still have it. This is not a bad illness but trust me it can lead to some really bad things so please don’t make yourself really stressed and take breaks or talk to someone.
- Don’t bottle up your feelings – As someone who has struggled with anxiety in the past, I find it’s really helpful to have someone to talk to when you have a lot on your mind. Because bottling them up means that one day all that emotion is gonna be released and that might not be very nice.
- Shit happens. Deal with it – Kinda linked to my first one because no one will sail through life without going through storms (do ya get me?). Things will go wrong and bad stuff is inevitable so you just have to deal with it and carry on sailing through.
- People are gonna judge you no matter what – This is the reason I hate society because it doesn’t matter what you look like or what you wear, people are going to judge you. Don’t let it get to you or maybe talk to someone if it’s really affecting wrong. There is some not nice people out there, for example I spent like the whole of year 7 with people making fun of my name… so yeah (it’s actually India not Indi)
- Just be yourself, quit trying to be everyone else – We are all guilty of trying to do something so that we could be someone else. Just don’t guys because then you will all become clones and we don’t want that. Be unique because is the best you that you can be.
- Life is not all pretty pictures – Again this links in with the first one because scrolling through some Insta accounts, some people’s lives just look amazing! In reality you don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, no one’s life is perfect.
- The only way to get what you want in this world is through hard work – Gotta love Princess and the Frog. This is so true because you don’t just magically get good GCSE results you have to work you butt of to get those. No one runs a 10k just like that, you gotta train lots to get there.
- Mental health is more important than your grades – This links in with my second point because GCSEs are important but your health is more important so if you are feeling stressed or anxious then take time out to relax. Just stop and breathe.
- For every down there is a up – I have had a rubbish couple of weeks with things going wrong and me just not being happy but then in the last few days I have had A LOT of good news. Life is like a rollercoaster, if you down then you will come back up again.
- Don’t compare yourselves to others – Comparing yourself to others is a complete waste of time and doesn’t get you anywhere, it just makes you unhappy. Trust me. Everyone is unique and different and if you are comparing followers and stuff it really doesn’t matter in the end because they are just numbers.
- Don’t change just because of what someone said – Basically don’t listen to the haters because they have nothing better to do with their lives than pick out people’s flaws. Let’s say that someone called you fat, don’t think that you should go on a diet because you are most likely not fat and if you were then it doesn’t matter. They’re just jealous of you.
- Never give up – This is something I have learned recently because I hit a plateau with my running and I just couldn’t go as far as I used to be able to so I was about to give up but then I get going and I am slowly getting better again. You just gotta power through things because they will hit a plateau.
- Don’t take things for granted – There is always people in worst situations than you and we should all be grateful that we have food and shelter. In my case I find it upsetting that my parents have split up and there is complications but at the same time I think that I am lucky to still have two loving parents when there are people out there who don’t.
- If you can dream it then you can do it – I love Walt Disney for this quote because it’s so inspiring. If you put your mind to something then you can do it, if you want something then go out there and work your butt off to get it. I want to go into fashion and therefore I am going to work to hard to get into the industry.
- We all have our bad days – There will be days where you feel like absolute crap and that it okay. Everyone has their down days, don’t worry about it.
- Don’t judge a book by it’s cover – Never ever judge someone by what they look like or before you know them because they could be nicest person ever but you wouldn’t know because you don’t want to hang out with them because of something petty.
I bet I’m gonna think of some right after posting this but I hope you liked it anyways and I hope that I made sense because I am not so great at explaining things.
Also thank you for the amazing feedback on my last post it really means a lot and I am super excited for what being 17 has to offer and the kinda new direction I am taking my blog in! You guys are da best!
What important life lessons have you learned?
Don’t forget to follow me on all social media to keep up with my shenanigans: